Our blog, ServiceFirst, features customer service tips, suggestions about how to configure your AnswerFirst account and topics relating to answering services and the answering service industry.
Everyone has experienced lackluster customer service at least once; whether it be while inquiring about something or voicing an issue. In a recent study by the Forester Customer Support Experience Index, only 37% of businesses received a great score. How about the rest of the businesses? The remaining 63% only received an "OK" to "very poor" [...]